Summer is here – As you get ready to enjoy the warm weather during outdoor activities and road trips with your pup, keep in mind that heatstroke can occur in pets (just like us) especially in hot, humid, and unventilated areas. Be aware that temperatures inside your car are alarmingly higher than outdoor temps.
Tips for Heatstroke Prevention
- Never leave your pet alone in the car.
- Walk or run with your dog early in the morning or late evening when the temperatures are less extreme.
- Touch the sidewalk with the palm of your hand – if it’s too hot for you, it’s too hot for your pet.
- Give your pet access to shade or shelter away from direct sunlight.
- Always provide fresh water for your pet.